Monday, August 6, 2007

Welcome to the World Matthew!!

Happy Birthday Matthew!!

As you know, when we went to bed last night the contractions had slowed and my cervix was completely closed.

At about 1:30 AM, I had terrible hip and back pain. I waited about 10 minutes before I realized the pain were contractions that were almost right on top of each other. At about 1:45 AM, the nurse came in and told me I could have a double my sleeping medications that should help me sleep.

At 2:45 AM, the pain had definately not subsided and I was in even more pain. I went on the monitor to check Matthew's heart rate and contractions, after about 1/2 hour it was determined that my contractions were 3-4 minutes apart and very intense. The doctor was called and I was asked what I wanted to do. I gave three options: deliver, stop the contractions or give me amazing meds.

By 3:30 the nurse came in to start my IV for some Nubane for relief. During that time the pain and pressure started to intensify so I volunteered for another painful sterile spec exam. Just by glancing, it was obvious that I was fully dilated and Matthew's butt was at a +1 station. A very quick spec exam was done to confirm and I was quickly whisked off for delivery.

At 4:00 AM we were in the OR. There wasn't enough time for my doctor to get here to deliver but we were incredibly fortunate that Dr. Zeilinsky whom we both love and who delivered Kaitlyn was in the hospital. I was getting my spinal block and being prepared for surgery. At 4:29 AM, Matthew Jackson Miller arrived into the world.

Matthew was born weighing 4 pounds and 14 ounces, 18 inches long and full of dark hair. He cried at birth which was a great noise to hear.

Matthew got to tell Mommy and Daddy hi before he was whisked to the NICU. He was having trouble breathing and getting the CO2 out of his body. He was put on the vent at 100% oxygen in an open isolettte. As of right now, 7:30 AM, Matthew is on the vent but on room air.

Daddy has got to spend a lot of time with his prince and Mommy can't wait to go and see him. Kaitlyn can't wait to meet her little brother!

Thank you so much to everyone for their warm thoughts, wishes and prayers. They mean the world to us.

No comments: