Monday, October 29, 2012

What are we going to watch now?

When I was growing up, I was never much of a baseball fan.  I would watch my brother's little league games, but that was about it.  Growing up, we watched a lot of Nascar in our home.  My dad was a huge Dale Earnhardt fan, and the Daytona 500 was almost a holiday in our house.

Dusty grew up a baseball fan.  He grew up a Giant's fan.  Since I loved Dusty, I wanted us to share some common interests and I began watching him.  We watched nearly every game together from about 2001-2003.  I was a HUGE Benitgo Santiago fan.  His comeback from a tragic car accident was so motivating.  And I loved Jeff Kent.  I still love Jeff Kent.  We watch Survivor just because of Jeff Kent.  He cracks me up, I'm pretty sure we would get along just fine.

We didn't watch much when Felipe Alou managed.  Dusty may have, but I was so frustrated with so many of my favorite players being traded that I almost hated the sport.

We started watching again in 2009.  By this time, Dusty brought up points that made the game even more interesting to me.  Such as the strategy involved.  I had never looked at it from quite that angle before.  I had usually thought of it has 27 innings, not the whole "well, if you have X pitch against Y, then X may not be able to pitch tomorrow against W."  And so on.

We've watched every single game since 2010.  Well, Dusty has.  I've watched a good majority of them, but I'm the type where I'm ok to watch the highlights and follow the game online inning through inning instead of staying up late to watch them on DVR.  Of course, if I do this, I have to stay out of the room when Dusty watches the game so I don't smirk, smile or get an angry look on my face when I know what's coming up.

We spent game 5 of the World Series in 2010 in Labor and Delivery thinking Samantha was trying to make her appearance.  We debated waiting until after the game to go in and get checked out.  In hindsight, we probably easily could have...

When we found out we were having a girl this time back in June, I told Dusty that the Giants were going to win the World Series this year.  Guess who was right?

I've spent the season watching the trade rumors, disappointed and shocked when Melky tested positive, inspired by Buster Posey's amazing comeback, emotional for how much Vogelsong has gone through to get where he is, wondering if Bochy is drunk or in need of blood pressure medication, watching for Wilson's crazy actions in the dugout, waiting to see how Romo was going to interrupt the next interview and wishing Sandoval would just please lose some darned weight!

So here we are.  There aren't any more games to watch until Spring Training.  It's likely that Huff won't be back, we'll never see Freddy Sanchez play again and to so many, it will still be a fluke win by a mediocre team.  While I didn't want to see Cain lose, I wouldn't have minded watching it go to 7 games.  Take the season into November...  

Instead, it looks like we'll DVR our shows and spread them out through the week.  Thank goodness for Boardwalk Empire, The Walking Dead and Survivor.  Maybe we'll get caught up on the shows we missed?  Big Bang Theory maybe?

No comments: