Tomorrow I have my monthly OB appointment. I have a feeling I am going to go to every 2 weeks starting tomorrow, but who knows. Considering that I go in every week for my shot and every 2 weeks for an u/s, I don't think it's really necessary, but I'm not the one in charge :P. I do have a feeling I'm going to get into a bit of trouble. I'm sure that when my doctor said not to worry too much about the weight gain, he didn't mean to gain 22 pounds in the first 22 weeks when the baby is only measuring around 15 ounces. Ouch. Even if I were to go by the "gain 40 pounds chart," I'm already up about 5 pounds higher than I should be. Oh well lol.
Baby's Growth and Development at 22 Weeks PregnantDuring your 22nd week of pregnancy, your baby is starting to discover a world around him as his senses continue to develop.
- When you’re 22 weeks pregnant, your baby is about 7 1/2 to 8 inches long head to rump, around the length of a head of cabbage, and weighs about 1 pound.
- Your baby's sense of touch and taste progress significantly this week.
- Taste buds begin forming.
- Your baby's brain and nerve endings mature enough to process the sensation of touch.
- Your baby's reproductive system continues to develop. In a boy, his testes begin to descend. In a girl, her ovaries and uterus now are in place and her vagina develops. She already has all of the eggs she'll need for her own reproductive life.
- When you're 22 weeks pregnant, the surface of your baby's brain, which has previously been smooth, begins to develop folds. This creation of hills and valleys in the brain will continue until the 34th week of pregnancy, when your baby's brain will have enough surface area for a full complement of brain cells.
- Your baby continues to hear sounds from the outside world. Although these sounds are muffled behind the amniotic fluid and the protective covering of vernix, your baby soon recognizes your voice.