Sunday, November 28, 2010

November is our busiest month

I feel like November is almost like our "practice" month before Christmas.  We have the following birthdays: my brother Scott, his girlfriend Jamie, our niece Lisa, Kaitlyn, brother-in-law Dennis, Dusty, my dad (same day as Dusty), plus this month we had Samantha, Thanksgiving and more birthdays outside of our immediate family.  It's insane.  And could be part of the reason why I feel so healed.

It's hard to believe that it's been less than 3 weeks since Samantha was born.  For the most part, I feel pretty awesome.  I would completely forget I just had a cesarean if it wasn't for that dull, achy, bruising feeling under my skin.  But, I haven't taken any medication at all since last Saturday and pretty much back to my full routine.  I have to remember tell myself to sit and rest, but it always feels like there is something else to be done.  Samantha is an awesome sleeper, so I've learned to do things in increments.  For example, we get out of bed, I change and feed her and she has some time in her swing.  I have about an hour and a half which is normally enough time to pick up the play room, kitchen, dining room and living room, do the dishes, at least start the laundry, take a shower and get dressed.  Then, I change and feed her again, we cuddle for a while and then I finish up whatever didn't get done.  Tomorrow we have to start an official routine and schedule because Kaitlyn goes back to school!

Kaitlyn's birthday party was ok.  I had bought and planned SOO much for a Scooby-Doo party at our house.  We were going to have a mystery game, another couple of games, lots of snacks and goodies and be spread out.  Unfortunately, Mother Nature had other intentions and we had to move it to the Pizza Place down the street.  While it wasn't ideal for me, or the type of party I like to give Kaitlyn, we were surrounded by family and good friends and that's all that really matters.  She did have fun and I can only hope everyone else did too.  I was incredibly sore that day and it was so hard to get up and move around, which was unfortunate because after being cooped up at home for a week, I was really looking forward to visiting.

Kaitlyn decided she had to have a cookie cake because she doesn't like cake.  She loved what Grandma did for her, got absolutely spoiled with presents and was so excited to go home and play with everything.  This year, she is writing her own thank you cards, so please be patient in getting those :)  We work on them in batches ;)






Thanksgiving this year was delicious.  But different.  Samantha had her first cold :(  Which wasn't fun.  And it was/is scary for us.  The first time I ever heard Matthew with a cough or sound like he had a cold was around 9:30 PM on October 14, 2007.  I remember it so well because 5 hours later he wasn't breathing and we lost him.  Considering that between Dusty and I we check her breathing several times every hour, it is stressful.  And I have no doubt we will continue to be "paranoid" for the next couple of years. 

We started Thanksgiving out just the three of us, Dusty, Samantha and I.  Kaitlyn had opted to spend the night at Grandma and Grandpa's the night before.  Samantha was congested, and Dusty wasn't feeling well.  So, I let him sleep while I held her upright and started making the macaroni and cheese and getting ready.  We headed to Samantha and David's house and stopped on the way to pick up a paper to look at the Black Friday ads.  We got there and had dinner with my whole family and Christina's soon to be In Laws.  It was all really good.  Samantha was pretty congested and snotty the entire time.

After, we headed to the hospital to visit with Dusty's mom, Judy who was admitted last Saturday for bursitiss in her hip that developed into a staph infection.  We visited for a few hours before we headed home.  My plan when we got home was to pump just one more bottle and then to head out for black Friday shopping.  With Samantha really stuffed up and snotty, and the news showing the madness at the two stores I wanted to go to, I went online and found nearly everything I wanted available that way.  So, online shopping it was :)  I was able to get more than half of my shopping done!  All the nieces, nephews and Kaitlyn's cousins are finished!  Woo-Hoo!  Now, they just need to get here and magically get wrapped!



Friday, Kaitlyn, Samantha and I spent all day at home.  Dusty went to my parents to work on their new floor, and we worked on cleaning, resting and getting better.  It was a pretty lazy day.

Saturday was Dusty and my dad's birthday.  In the entire time I've known Dusty (nearly 12 years) he has never had a birthday party.  He just isn't really into being the center of attention and with his birthday so close to Thanksgiving it's just hard to do.  But, this year, Dusty was turning 30 and had just had his third child, celebrating needed to happen!  My dad was a good sport about having Dusty's surprise party on his birthday, and Dusty had NO idea what was going on!  I was so glad.  He said the only time he even came close to suspecting anything was because I was driving slow, when we first left the house, I text my sister to tell her we were on our way, and she said most people hadn't arrived yet.  So, I was able to stretch a 15-20 minute drive into about 35 minutes.  I blamed the wet roads when Dusty asked lol.  But, he was surprised and had a great time. 

After, we visited his parents on the way home since his mom was discharged yesterday evening, and then I eagerly went to bed :) 

Tomorrow starts our new normal!  Kaitlyn is back to school, which means I have to be out of bed by 6, which means I HAVE to go to bed earlier.  On Tuesday I have my post-op appointment and am really hoping that I get good news :)  And no lectures lol!

I hope everyone had a blessed and wonderful holiday!

No comments: