Tuesday, April 24, 2007

04/24/07

There are so many things I find funny. I enjoy listening to jokes, I enjoy comedy clubs, I enjoy comedy on television, I LOVE to laugh. Maybe that's how I stay so thin, laughing does burn 30 calories!

But, there are some things I don't find funny at all. I don't think making fun of children or babies is ever funny. I don't see taking an innocent little angelic face that looks up to all adults with pride and excitment and turning them into a laughing matter comedic.

It is quite possible that I'm alone on this, but incredibly doubtful.

As adults, we have this responsibility to children to protect them. To make children feel safe and secure in our arms. To make children believe that there is a shining star in the night's sky and a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow.

To be a person in a child's life that a child trusts and loves is an amazing position. To know that this little person thinks you are the greatest thing since peanut butter on a big spoon is a feeling that is indescribable and irreplacable.

It takes a special kind of person to look at this perfect angel and laugh at something *you* find wrong with them. How pathetic must a grown adult be to pick on a child? How insecure and lonely must a man or woman be to find humor in an "imperfection" of a child? How disgusting and disturbed must a person be to think giggling at an "inside" joke regarding a baby is acceptable?

I hope and pray that those people do not breed. I pray that if they do have children, they are without any fault or who knows how damaged their self-esteem may be by the time they reach adolescence. I have faith that there are not other children present when these people take part in their diseased jokes.

For those that already have children, I take pity on them. If they are so set upon teasing babies, toddlers and children they must not have fully enjoyed everything that parenthood has to offer. Those are the people who have absolutely no respect for the astonishing gift they have been given in their child. I worry that their child is either a big bully on the playground or is so weak and lacking in self-confidence that they allow themselve to be bullied.

People who make fun of babies, toddler and children are lacking morals, ethics, compassion and every characteristic necessary to be a contributing member of our community or our world. I am thankful every day that our family does not have people like that around. I know that we are better people for it and Kaitlyn will grow to be a better woman because of it.

No comments: