Tuesday, March 22, 2011

I got lost

Not so much in the figurative sense, though I do feel as though I have a time or two.  But physically.

I have always lived in the Sacramento area.  ALWAYS.  And to me, Sacramento is easy to navigate.  Everything leads to everything else, you can always see a main road and you're always just a few miles from a major road or freeway.

Today, I was meeting an awesome friend for lunch, for possible the final time before her family of 3 becomes a family of 4.  And, to digress, it is really neat to watch, Carmen is about the same age Kaitlyn was when Matthew was born and it's nice to see that innocence in a sweet little girl and remember how Kaitlyn was at that age in that way.  But anywho...

I was leaving my house a tad bit early.  I was not only determined to be on time, but wanted to try a new route I had been wanting to see if was quicker after having it suggested by mapquest a while back.

Well, with all the floods, one road was closed, you had to take the detour.  I thought I had.  Then, I went from a third of a tank of gas to the gas light on, on farm roads having absolutely no idea what way was up, down, east west and wondering how I've traveled for 60 miles to go 13 miles from home with no idea where I was.  I mean, NO IDEA.  I didn't know which way to turn.  I didn't know the name of the streets.  I didn't recognize anything.  There were houses every few miles.  There weren't any businesses anywhere and not a sign of a gas station to be seen.  I was terrified I was going to run out of gas, and if I did, how would I tell anyone where I was if I couldn't figure it out myself?  I almost stopped and went to a house to ask for directions.  But, of course that active imagination ran and convinced me that it would be a serial killer's house out in the middle of no where.

Finally, I found where I was.  18 miles outside of Wheatland.  WAY out of the way lol.  Here's a map to show you:




The red star is where I started.  The blue star is where I was going.  That green star is where I ended up.  Never before have I been so glad to pay $4.19 a gallon in gas....

That's a shortcut I won't be taking again!

No comments: