Tuesday, October 2, 2007

What's Happiness?

It's funny how things work out. I was downstairs doing the dishes and getting my thoughts together. I was thinking about what exactly makes people happy and reflecting on my long 10 weeks in the hospital (I do that a lot, it's still so fresh in my mind and so distant at the same time) when I came upstairs to feed Matthew. I opened the laptop and had 1 new message.


Sand and Stone

TWO FRIENDS WERE WALKING
THROUGH THE DESERT
DURING SOME POINT OF THE
JOURNEY, THEY HAD AN
ARGUMENT; AND ONE FRIEND
SLAPPED THE OTHER ONE
IN THE FACE


THE ONE WHO GOT SLAPPED
WAS HURT, BUT WITHOUT
SAYING ANYTHING,
WROTE IN THE SAND


TODAY MY BEST FRIEND
SLAPPED ME IN THE FACE

THEY KEPT ON WALKING,
UNTIL THEY FOUND AN OASIS,
WHERE THEY DECIDED
TO TAKE A BATH

THE ONE WHO HAD BEEN
SLAPPED GOT STUCK IN THE
MIRE! AND STARTED DROWNING,
BUT THE FRIEND SAVED HIM



AFTER HE RECOVERED FROM
THE NEAR DROWNING,
HE WROTE ON A STONE:


"TODAY MY BEST FRIEND
SAVED MY LIFE"


THE FRIEND WHO HAD SLAPPED
AND SAVED HIS BEST FRIEND
ASKED HIM, "AFTER I HURT YOU,
YOU WROTE IN THE SAND AND NOW,
YOU WRITE ON A STONE, WHY?"

THE FRIEND REPLIED
"WHEN SOMEONE HURTS US
WE SHOULD WRITE IT DOWN
IN SAND, WHERE WINDS OF
FORGIVENESS CAN ERASE IT AWAY.

BUT, WHEN SOMEONE DOES
SOMETHING GOOD FOR US,
WE MUST ENGRAVE IT IN STONE
WHERE NO WIND
CAN EVER ERASE IT"


LEARN TO WRITE
YOU'RE HURTS IN
THE SAND AND TO
CARVE YOUR
BENEFIT S IN S TONE.


THEY SAY IT TAKES A

MINUTE TO FIND A SPECIAL PERSON,

AN HOUR TO
APPRECIATE THEM,
A DAY TO LOVE THEM,
BUT THEN

AN ENTIRE LIFE
TO FORGET THEM.


SEND THIS TO
THE PEOPLE YOU'LL NEVER
FORGET.

I JUST DID.

IF YOU DON'T
SEND IT TO ANYONE,
IT MEANS YOU'RE IN A
HURRY AND THAT YOU'VE
FORGOTTEN YOUR FRIENDS.

TAKE THE TIME TO LIVE!

DO NOT VALUE THE THINGS
YOU HAVE IN YOUR LIFE, BUT VALUE
WHO
YOU HAVE IN YOUR LIFE!

AND IF I HAPPEN TO GET IT BACK,
THEN I KNOW MY PLACE IN YOUR LIFE


"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting
some kind of battle"



I believe this to be so true.

I do believe that what makes people happy is so different for every person. What might make one happy may not make the next happy and that doesn't make it any less important.

I've learned, that for me (and I know Dusty feels the same) the people in our lives bring us so much happiness. Material things are nice and can make life nicer, but for us, they are just things.

During my pregnancy, recovery, and the time since, I've had things to write in the sand. Things that were hurtful and things I would rather forget... quickly. But I had so many more things to write in stone. I had so many positive experiences from so many amazing people in my life.

Before I had Kaitlyn, we made more money, we could buy more things, we could do more things and we didn't ever utter the word budget. There was no need to.

Then, with Kaitlyn I worked from home. We made a decent amount where we could live happily without having to stress or worry about buying food, diapers, clothes, shoes or fun stuff.

When I had Matthew, our income was cut, and since we had to pay for more medical insurance and what not, our outgoing money was increased. So, we had to start budgeting more. But you know what? We couldn't be happier.

I realized I get to decide what type of experience I take from the hospital and I get to decide what type of life to have from here on out.

I've decided to take my stones with me and let the wind blow away the words in the sand. I learned so much since June 1. I've learned so much about myself, about Dusty and about the wonderful people in our lives.

From here on out, life is going to be happy. Sure there will be bumps, but that's what reminds us what happiness feels like ;) I am going to surround ourselves with other happy people. I am going to go into every situation with a smile and a realization that I can either go into anything with a positive attitude or negative and either way it's going to affect it.

So, I'm going into everything with a smile, a good thought and the hope for the best. I'm not going to let other people affect my happiness, unless of course they are adding to it.

I know we are incredibly blessed and lucky. I have a husband who loves me so much he spent every night for 10 weeks on a teeny, tiny, uncomfortable hospital fold out bed, intended for 1 or 2 nights use. I have a gorgeous, sweet, kind, caring, energetic and smart little girl who shows us how to rediscover the world every day. I have a miracle little boy who has shown that he is going to beat any prognosis given to him. They both have a daddy who loves them so much. Kaitlyn is so in awe of Dusty most days and is his little clone. She's proud to always tell me that Daddy works so he can buy her new toys, clothes and shoes. We have an amazing family who has been nothing but kind, caring, supportive and consistant.

Dusty and I made decisions in life that have proven to bring us nothing but happiness. We chose for me to work from home and to have no debt and if that means we don't have a house or new things everyday, that's ok by us. It's the choises we make in life that make us happy and we are the only ones that can change make them and do what's best for our own family.

We only have one life. I'm happy with the one we're living. What makes you happy? What's written on your stones?

No comments: