Saturday, March 8, 2008

God's Intention

Several days ago, I overheard something that has been replaying in my mind. I've been trying to figure out why the statement stayed with me and I realized it did one two levels, one was that I found it hurtful regardless of it's intention and the second was trying to figure out and understand if there is any truth to the statement.

One person was telling another, in an attempt to comfort them from bad dreams, that if you have faith, God does not let bad things to happen to you.

I earnestly believe that God is not a spiteful, vindictive person. I do not believe that God allows or encourages bad things to happen to anyone.

Every day, bad things happen to good people. I do not believe it is God that causes those things to happen to the good people. Instead, I do believe that God is there for those with faith to get them through the difficulties life throws at them.

Sometimes, as difficult as it may be to understand or how impossible it may be to cope with, bad things just happen. There isn't a rhyme or reason, and even if you try to analyze it or figure out a why until the hours turn into days and the days into weeks and the weeks into months, there isn't a reason.

Regardless of how much or how little faith you have, good and bad things will happen in your life. Even if you pray with all of your heart around the clock, you can still be given challenges in life that you never signed up for or asked for. It doesn't in any way reflect a person's faith or what type of person they are.

Sometimes, you can do everything right and things still turn out wrong.

Anyways, thanks for letting me think outloud. Sometimes it makes it a lot easier to figure out my own thoughts and emotions.

No comments: